How to Start a Summer Herb Garden Indoors06.30.2020
If you love to cook with fresh herbs, there’s a way to do it without running to the store all the time. Simply start your own garden. You don’t need any outdoor space to do it—a kitchen windowsill and a few containers will do the trick. Here’s how to get started.
- Find a sunny spot. First things first: figure out where you want the herbs to put down roots. Most herbs prefer ample amounts of sunshine, so try to find a spot in your apartment that can accommodate their thirst for the sun.
- Pick your plants. While most herbs are relatively easy to grow, some do better indoors than others. For a container garden, basic herbs like mint, chives, parsley, and basil are among the best options. But your selection should depend on your preferences, too. If you rarely cook with basil, don’t bother wasting prime windowsill space on it!
- Choose your containers. No need to run out for planters! DIY containers for your herb garden using items you have around the house. Upcycle empty cans by removing the labels and filling them with potting soil, or try mason jars instead. Even mugs will work! And feel free to decorate your chosen containers with whatever art supplies you have on hand to make your garden a bit more aesthetically pleasing.
- Water and harvest appropriately. When you start your own herb garden, it’s crucial to water each plant just enough, but not too much. You can generally figure out when herbs need more water by simply sticking your finger in the soil. If it feels dry, add enough water to make it moist. You should also do your best to pluck herbs at their peak freshness, which varies from one plant to the next. Check online to find out the best time to “harvest” a specific herb.
- Cafe Colline: A Tasty Place to Indulge in Fresh and Authentic French-Inspired Cuisine 05.10.2022
- Inexpensive Ways to Celebrate Mother’s Day 05.07.2022
- Experience International Cultures Without Leaving D.C. at the World Embassy Tour on May 7th 05.01.2022
- Best Ways to Celebrate Earth Day 04.20.2022
- Experience Authentic West African Cuisine right here in Washington D.C. at Moi Moi 04.12.2022